Saturday, 5 July 2008

Winding down

I think I’ll be ok coming home. And particularly going back to school. I’ve been working it through since my “panic attacks” during the spring. I really was no where near ready then. Meeting up with Evan, and John in Paris actually worked in favour of it. I kept coming up with all sorts of project ideas for school. There’s a series of “Où est M. Wood?” pictures.
Où est M. Wood? Il est à la boulangerie. Qu’est-ce qu’il va choisir? Il choisit un pain au chocolat. And so on through various shops. There’s also a series of “Où est Mme Schemeit?” Elle est sur la banque, dans la cathédrale de Notre Dame, à côté de la crêperie… We did a whole ‘sur, sous, dans, devant, derrière, à côté de series with the sculpture in front of Eglise St Eustache. It was all quite fun to do.






I feel, in general, like I’m winding down. I’ve talked about the coming full circle thing before…now I’m visiting with family again and telling my stories and showing my pictures. That gives it a winding down feel too. Yesterday we watched the movie “Into the Wild”. It was a very good movie though hard to watch late on a Saturday night. It was very long! It’s about a university graduate who takes off, changes his name, has no contact with his family, they have no idea what happened to him, he donates all his savings to Oxfam and he travels through America with the goal of getting to Alaska where he just wants to live in the wild by himself. It was very interesting the way he searches and yearns for freedom and happiness and how to live a true life. The ending was very sad but not because he doesn’t find the answers he was looking for to begin with. There were aspects of it that I could relate to which maybe made it interesting too. Though I haven’t yet figured out how. Maybe I’ve been thinking a lot about how to live in truth and justice.

I received an email the other day that had pictures of Mugabe’s residence in Zimbabwe. It looks like Louis XIV’s palace in Versailles. It hit home again the injustices of our world, of their world. We in our world donate our money because we want to help those who are so poor in Africa, yet their corrupt governments live in such crass and over the top richness that it becomes very grotesque. I haven’t yet figured out what I think the solutions should be either.

There are a lot of things to figure out as I’m winding down in order to change the world. I wonder what sort of actions I can take to make a difference in that regard. Hmmm…

I’m off to Lithuania tomorrow. I’m flying to Vilnius from Brussels. Maybe I’ll encounter some answers there. Who knows.

4 comments:

Antje said...

hallo Karin
wo bist Du

Kristine said...

Karin, I am so glad that you are feeling alright about coming home. Last night I sang with Hilariter and I thought of you as we sang, "Why do we hunger for beauty"...

k

Anonymous said...

Karin,
If you didn't come home we would miss you terribly!!!

Love Moo #2

GandS said...

Bonjour Karin,
We are so glad that are feeling better about coming to TO. After our recent 3 week trip to the east coast we also did not want to return so we have a very tiny idea of what you are feeling. Your blog now makes us wish we had been with you in Paris. Missed you at the Hilariter concert. Safe travels.