Monday, 8 September 2008

What should I do with my blog?

August 25

I started this blog as a way for me to keep a journal of my travels and consequently to keep in touch with my friends and family. It’s been an amazing tool in many ways. Thanks to Michelle at TCS for suggesting the idea and Hilary for getting me all set up.

But I don’t feel like I’m ready to let it go even though I’m back. I’ve found the journaling valuable…though I suppose in theory I could do that without publishing it, but somehow it feels more real this way. Maybe it serves some sort of purpose. Maybe it just keeps me writing. When I was in high school struggling with “The Lively Art of Writing” I never would have admitted this, but I now like writing. And maybe it’s easier to do when one has somewhat of an audience. Plus there are people around the world now who might be interested in my adventures at home. Mind you I won’t be posting as frequently for fear that it may become too mundane. But I think I’ll keep it up for now and you can decide whether you’d like to check in with me once in a while or not. Apparently you can somehow set up your computer to tell you when I’ve posted a new message. But I don’t really know how.

2 comments:

BlackberryLarry said...

I am glad you are thinking to keep up your journalling. I agree that it can be valuable, personally for you and communally since you write so well.

As to the auto notification you speak of ...
If any of your audience are interested in having their web browser notify them when you've posted, they need to make use of the "Subscribe to:" feature at the bottom of your main page. What happens depends on one's browser. But bookmarking the page that link takes you to should provide a "signal". On the Mac OS Browser for example, I have bookmark the Subscribe To: link. This bookmark gets a number in brackets after it when you have created a new post. I suspect Microsoft's IE would have a similar feature, but I don't know.

Unknown said...

hallo karin,
schön, daß du weiter "bloggen" willst.
traurig, daß ich noch nicht mit dir gesprochen oder gemailt habe.
schande über mich....
aber so erfahr ich trotzdem was :).
lg k