Tuesday, 21 October 2008

It’s snowing!

We had our first little bit of snow today. Nothing that would stay on the ground. Nothing of any substance yet there were snowflakes whipping through the air in the harsh wind. A bit of a cold snap. It’s a bit of a shock to the system on one hand. Yet on the other it has a feeling of excitement for me too. I love snow. And I love the season too when it gets colder and darker because I enjoy making my space cozy and warm and light. It’s somehow part of the beauty of fall for me.

Fall. When I think of, hear or use the word I often think of Phil and Geraldine, my friends near Melbourne. It was fall when I visited with them in April. It was getting colder there. They were shivering and “freezing” and it was only about 14 degrees. Phil teased me about the word “fall” and would try to imitate my Canadian way of saying it. It seems like a very long time ago.

It’s been beautiful here. The trees have all turned and many of the leaves have by now fallen especially with the wind we had today. I need to rake my little yard. The weather has generally been very nice. We had a gorgeous September, warm and sunny. The beginning of October brought rain but the last couple of weeks, and especially weekends have been glorious. On one of the rainy days I had locked myself out of my house and as I stood for over an hour in the rain for a locksmith guy to come who never came, I enjoyed the beauty of the season. Rain is beautiful too. I enjoyed the red maple leaves scattered on the still green grass. I enjoyed the raindrops pearling in the leaves. It was quite beautiful. Okay by the time I’d been waiting for over an hour I was a little annoyed. But really just a little. The whole time I went through this crazy ordeal I was completely patient and calm. I handled it all with Lubega patience. It felt good.

1 comment:

BlackberryLarry said...

Ha! I am reminded, reading this - I nearly locked myself out of my place yesterday morning!!! (monday morning). I had left to run some errands, but was using a borrowed van, rather than my car. My house keys are on my car key ring. I did not think about the fact the van key ring had no house key on it. I did not lock up because the cleaning woman was there. It was only when I got back home that I realized my error. If the cleaning woman had left, I would have been locked out!!!! Yikes. That was too close for comfort.

I am thinking this locking one's self out must come to a stop now! ;)