Monday, 23 March 2009

March Break


March Break is a great week. A week of holidays to help break up the winter…well, the end of winter. Actually, it’s a good week off to end the 2nd school term and then begin the last one. We’re in the last stretch of this school year. Yahoo!

I often like to stay home for March Break to sleep and recuperate and lounge around. This year my friend Larry convinced me to come skiing with him and his daughter out in British Columbia. They have a ski chalet at Big White, the ski resort near Kelowna in the Monashee mountain range. That’s west of the Rockies. It’s a very beautiful spot in our world.

I was worried at first that I wouldn’t get enough lounging around time. But it all worked out quite well. The couches there are very comfortable. There were 3 days that I skied and three where I didn’t. That meant I got all of my little projects done that I had brought along, beginning a quilt, reading a book and finishing a pile of marking.


I would label myself a dorky skier. I can ski well enough but I’m pretty dorky. I don’t have the latest, up-to-date ski outfit and well, my skiing-style isn’t very refined either. I took a lesson one morning, which gave me some good pointers. Unfortunately I didn’t have much time to practice what I’d learned since Thursday and Friday were very foggy days and it was recommended that I not ski in conditions where you can’t see anything. Actually they don’t call it fog up there. It’s actually low-lying cloud.


The time with Larry and Tessa was very good. We enjoyed each other’s company, I got teased from both ends, we watched movies and played games and when we were outdoors they’d patiently wait for me at the bottom of the hill before heading up on the lift together.


1 comment:

GandS said...

It looks and sounds as if you had a wonderful time! Nice skiing form and NICE socks! The couches appear to have been very comfortable.
Happy belated birthday!