I’m turning 40 this year. This is the year that I’m turning 40. My friend Cathy and I decided last fall already that we should do something to mark the occasion. We thought that our whole little group from high school might have a little getaway like we used to do back in the day. In fact, the year we turned 20 we all went to Ottawa for a weekend to go to Winterlude.
Unfortunately, only Cathy and I were able to arrange our adventure. When you’re 40 your schedules and responsibilities are quite different from when you’re 20! Cathy and I were able to make it work and we decided that Ottawa was a great destination for us. We both enjoy winter and so Winterlude in Ottawa would be perfect. We treated ourselves to staying at the Chateau Laurier with a room with a view of the Parliament Buildings. We skated the whole 8 km length of the canal and took in the little Canadiana winter celebrations along the way. We ate beaver tails and poutine and drank hot apple cider and hot chocolate. Ottawa when you’re 40 is different too. No staying up till way into the night. No clubbing trips to Hull. No crazy swimming pool visits in paper bathing suits. No jumping up and down in the hotel elevator. I was wiped out and in my pyjamas by 9:30 on the first night. Cathy went to explore around the hotel and I crawled into bed. Woohoo! I’m turning 40!
No comments:
Post a Comment