Friday, 28 September 2007

Other observations


I am the only lone female in my age group traveling at this time of the year. Not surprising really but an observation none the less. There are a lot of people traveling. I suppose it’s perhaps a good time to travel for those people who don’t work and don’t have families. And so it is that most people around are groups of older people. Sometimes young couples that might be on a honeymoon I suppose, or a romantic getaway. And the occasional family but then I wonder why their children aren’t in school?? But I haven’t seen any other lone females in my age group. I’m one of a kind!

It’s interesting how I feel in places where I don’t know anybody. Staying with my people of course is great. But then occasionally I’m on my own somewhere. Like now. It’s weird. It didn’t feel at all strange to be alone in Dresden. But now in Prague more so I think. Maybe it has something to do with not knowing the language here. That’s more isolating. Maybe it’s the dreariness in the weather. Maybe there are just too many people around. When I was out and about this evening the streets were packed. It happens to also be a holiday here today. From what I understand it’s St Wenceslas’s day. He seems to have been the first Czech king and a great hero to the people still here today. Maybe I’ll find out more about him tomorrow in my explorations around town.

No comments: