Tuesday, 6 May 2008

The Great Ocean Road

May 5

I took a day tour along the Great Ocean Road. Really I should have planned things better and done a longer tour. Most ideal would be to rent a car and take several days to explore the area. But that’s not something I wanted to do on my own. So I went along with the quickie tour where you get off the bus, take a picture and get back on. The tour guide was really good and I scored a great window seat on the little bus.

The area is lovely, west of Melbourne for about 200km. The coastline is magnificent. Near the beginning it reminded me a bit of the coast of Newfoundland. We saw some wildlife; koalas, crimson rosellas and kookaburras and some sort of huge fish eating frenzy on the ocean surface. We had a mystical walk through a temperate rainforest. The waves were amazing. Later the coast changed to limestone and sandstone cliffs that erode and form beautiful structures along the coast. The Twelve Apostles are the most famous group, though there are only seven left because the others have broken and toppled into the sea. I took a helicopter ride and was able to see the coastline in a different way; all the gorges and points are magnificent. And we watched the sun set at London Bridge, or what used to be London Bridge before it fell down. I was very tired by the time I got home at 11pm.









1 comment:

BlackberryLarry said...
This comment has been removed by the author.