Monday, 12 May 2008

Titirangi

May7-9
I arrived in New Zealand without any difficulties. I was practically the last one out of the airport since I had to have my boots checked in the quarantine department for any nasty things that may have been lurking there after hiking in Australian rainforests, etc. Naturally I ended up with the grumpy quarantine guy. I felt a little like I was on the Australian TV show “Border Crossing”. But once I started answering grumpy quarantine guard’s questions he became Mr. Friendly and we had a good conversation! He and his colleague decided that they too wanted to do a 4 over 5 program like the lucky teachers in Canada.


It was nice to have Elaine and Edith pick my up. I know Elaine from the pilgrimage last July and she just happened to be visiting her family in NZ. Edith is her cousin Lynton’s wife. She was staying with them and I was able to stay with them too for a few nights. They live in the little town of Titirangi just west of Auckland. In Maori it means “near to heaven” and indeed it is a very beautiful place. I can see why people love to live there and why they would name it so. The view from their bathroom window is exquisite. The window is above the sink, instead of a mirror. I decided that view was much more beautiful to look at than anything I might see in the mirror. :-)

Edith and Lynton are kind and hospitable. They are amazingly talented. Lynton was a film producer/director/researcher doing documentaries in various exotic places including in Antartica and the Arctic. Edith paints, and gourmet cooks, and knits and writes and makes books and and and… I did feel just a little bit inadequate. I was able to visit with them and Elaine of course and organize what I’d be doing here in the next couple of weekes. I bought a bus pass and headed off on my way.

No comments: