Saturday, 23 February 2013

Ski Trip



Joel, Larry, Tessa: Happy to finally be hitting the slopes! 
Larry goes skiing with his kids every year at this time.  It’s the uni Reading Week, which for the Williamson family means ski trip time.  Since I’m off this year, I’ve been seconded to come too.  Larry, Joel and Tessa went a few days earlier and I arrived on Tuesday night.  We’re at Silver Star, which is very close to Vernon in the interior of British Columbia.  It is part of the Monashee mountain range in the Okanagan Valley, somewhere west of the Rockies.  This part of the world is definitely very beautiful; mountains, evergreen trees, snow.  It’s very idyllic.  The people who live here are very well aware of how lucky they are to be in such a wonderful place.  We’ve chatted to some of them while on the ski lift.  Larry is always quick to strike up a conversation.  He sure is in his element here. 
Beautiful view from the slopes

Tessa always looking good!
Larry’s kids grew up skiing so they are very excellent and very avid.  I feel very much inadequate in comparison.  This is naturally to be expected since my ski history is so sporadic.  But they are all very good about skiing with me.  Tessa is particularly good at making sure I don’t get lost and am okay.  I quickly learned not to follow Joel as he veers off on extra little trails that would not be good for me to find myself on. 

I took two mornings of lessons.  This was very good for me.  I’m glad I did this.  The instructor was very encouraging.  We worked a lot on my stance and style and I have begun to feel more confident.  This morning worked out very well.  I stayed on the easier, gentler runs and was really able to concentrate and practice and feel more at ease.  Once my legs get tired though it’s harder to keep that going.  I was only able to do a couple of runs this afternoon before having to stop.  It didn’t help that we were on some steeper runs too.  The combo of tired and harder wasn’t a very good combo. 

Could be me.
Generally, I’m beginning to feel a little less dorky…and I haven’t had to change my jacket.  I’m still wearing my ski coat from the 90s.  Tessa’s been “encouraging” me to make the switch.  Part of me doesn’t see why I should be spending a whole bunch of money on a new jacket if my jacket is very functional.  Another part of me wonders if I might feel better if I was up on the latest style.  But then another part of me likes to be anti-trends, anti-conforming-to-what-everyone-else does.  So I haven’t decided yet.  The most important thing I need though, are boots that fit me properly.  I’ve always had a hard time finding comfortable boots so I’m usually skiing in pain…which, frankly, isn’t that pleasurable. 

Heading Out
Tessa’s moving on to Big White to meet up with her mom and Emma for a few more days of skiing.  Joel’s heading back home since Reading Week is over and he has to go back to classes.  Larry and I are driving up to Sun Peaks tomorrow, near Kamloops, for a couple more days of skiing.   We’re meeting up with Larry’s friends Jerry and Norah-Lynn there.  I understand they have some good gentle slopes there so hopefully I can hone my new found skills a little more.  
Morning view from our chalet.

No comments: