I'm loving Africa but not this internet cafe. The connection is slow and the keyboard is sticky and my laptop seems to have died last night. So now my mind is scattered and I'm not sure what to write with all of the things whirling around in my head.
Masooli is lovely. The village is small though we've pretty much spent all of our time at the Learning Centre. The chidlren are fascinated by thhe Buzungus. (white people) from Buzunguland. They all wante me marking their work. Today and yesterday I taught them the Masooli -Kitetikka song. The senior class today did an especially great job learning it. It was so fun. I'm glad Steve was in control of teaching the basses. They were really good. Two guys Andrew and Roland sang us a song first and they were very good at that too.
The hospitality is amazing. We're trying to break down the stigma though that they should be serving us. We're eating in their lean-to kitchen now with our fingers. Soon I think we can convince them to eat with us so that we're eating together as a communtiy. They prepared so much for us.
I don't know how often and how much I'll be able to write now that my computer seems to be dead and internet cafes are likely not ideal. Pictures I imagine will be impossible. News about my Kenya part is that the travel company is rerouting to avoid the dangers in Kenya so that's good. It'll be mostly in Tanzania.
I met Katharina's nephew and family yesterday. They drove all the way up to Masoooli to come and visit me. It took them 2 hours!! THey have also offered that I can stay with them later when my TPC friends leave. I'm grateful for that. In the meantime I'm looking to see what I can offer the learning centre while I'm here. I have some ideas but I'm not sure how it will work out. School starts back for them on the 4th of Feb. THey're finsihing their 'summer holidays'. It's quite warm but not too hot today. THey think it's cold though. THey're asking a lot about snow. And what thaty's like. It's interesitng to come up with different ways of tryin gto describe it.
Better post this before my time runs out. All is well.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment