There are a number of different cultures going on here. There are the snowbirds. Primarily white, older North Americans. They are divided into 2 categories. One group is strictly the beach tourist
group. They seem to generally stick
around the beach front where the town has been set up for tourists. (Tourism is the main economic industry here.) Many parade around in their bathing suits,
sitting at the beach-side bars as if they were sun-tanning. I have to say, some people should be banned
from wearing bikinis. Some people should
be banned from wearing speedos.
Actually, I think all men should be banned from wearing speedos. Actually, the more I think of it, people
wearing nothing but bathing attire at a beach bar is just not appropriate. Can you not at least put on a t-shirt??
The other category of snowbirds also includes the ex-pats
that live here now year round. Or those
that are here for much of the winter but wish they could be here year
round. They are actually living here,
shopping in the same shops as the Mexicans, venturing out into other areas of
the city, besides the tourist strip along the beach. They are involved in local events going on
here. A couple we’ve met, for example,
is involved at the local library, helping to organize the silent auction
happening on Friday. On Sunday I went to
church with Lucille and my mom to the local Spanish speaking Catholic Church. The church was packed full, standing room
only. There were also many white
churchgoers who seemed to me to be those that get to know what life is like in
PV and have learned (or are learning) to speak the language.
The tourists and the gringos clearly provide business for
many a street vendor and souvenir shop and labourer. They clearly create a whole economy and set
of jobs for many Mexicans. Saturday we
went to the Farmer’s Market. I was
surprised not to find many farmers there.
In fact, many of the booths were gringo artisans and their little crafts
and dips and jams and things. Larry and
I had gone out today to do some shopping for things we needed; fruta, huevos,
leche. We couldn’t find any of this at
the “Farmer’s Market” so we headed back up into town where we had walked
yesterday and remembered seeing some market shops there. It took us a little while to find it again as
we were coming from a different direction.
But we did and it was worth it.
We were shopping with the other locals and figured out the system of
getting yourself a tub to put your things in and I asked for diez huevos en
espagnol! (I took 1st year
Spanish eons ago and little bits keep popping back into mind, now that I’m
here—I’d asked for 10 eggs because I forgot how to say 12.) Though I appreciate staying in a nice place
right by the beach, with palm tree and ocean view…I like going up into the main
part of town where the locals are and being part of the culture there. And then I have to admit that it’s nice to
come back down to the beach for margaritas.
It’s nice to be a part of both worlds.
There’s a big gay culture here. My gaydar is not generally very effective but
I’m noticing it a lot here. Homosexuality
seems to be very open and accepted.
There are gay pride flags on some buildings. It is clear that particularly white gay males
have come and set up businesses here; new fancy schmancy condo time share complex
going up, activity centre, bars, restaus…
I see a mixture of different kinds of couples; mixed white and Mexican,
older, younger, more flamboyant, less flamboyant. There are lesbians too but I’m not noticing
them as much, they’re not as flamboyant.
It is clear to me in any case, that gay men should not be wearing
speedos either! Today at the “Farmer’s
Market” there were four gay men singing barbershop quartet (except they called
it beautyshop quartet dragapella). They
were amazing and I thought the style of music really suited their dramatics and
flamboyance! I have to admit that I’m a
little surprised. I figured that for a
society that I thought was not considered as developed as ours, and one that is
very Catholic, it wouldn’t be so kosher to be so open. I am glad that I was wrong. Larry has discovered that the influence of
the Catholic Church is not so significant in politics because in history the
church was not often very helpful or supportive of the common people and their
struggles. It turns out that the federal
state of Mexico is quite liberal and has sanctioned gay marriage. State by state then decides whether they go
for it or not. Jalisco state, where
Puerto Vallarta is, has just had an election and elected the liberal
government, so they’re expecting gay marriage to be endorsed locally.




No comments:
Post a Comment