Friday, 16 November 2007

Back in France

November 9
I’m back in Europe. I’m in France. Getting going wasn’t as exciting as it should have been until three women going to Arizona asked me about my trip and when I said “around the world” they got all excited for me. That put me back in the right mood. The flights were uneventful though the landings and take-offs in Europe were a little rough, high winds, especially the one coming into Frankfurt. The stewardess announced that it had been a sporty landing. I enjoyed that description. Getting the train to Arras from the airport was pretty simple. Speaking French again is good. Two guys on the train asked whether we’d be at Vimy on Sunday. They’re going too. It was this neat sort of insider’s connection. There isn’t much in Arras, the main town closest to Vimy, except for a beautiful 16th century Flemish town square. Although, there hasn’t been much time to explore a lot of it yet anyway. I’d like to go to the marché here in the morning. Now that I’m back in Europe I can get caught up on my journaling again. I love sitting in cafés! They’re great places to journal.

My friend Larry ended up coming with me. It was a last minute idea. We had traveled well together in Turkey in the summer, Vimy’s been a desired destination for him too, it fit well into his schedule and in the end, we quickly organized to do that together. So he’s joining me for the week in France. Though I generally like traveling on my own, it’s also nice to have company. I’m glad it worked out this way.

No comments: