
Hilary and David’s wedding was actually the reason why I decided to come home in October. Thankfully they planned they’re wedding in great detail way enough in advance that it was all part of the plan to begin with. I remember when they came over to my place last October to share the news of their engagement. I was horrified at first to learn that they were planning an October wedding when I’d be away. So the only solution was to come home for it.
It certainly was a special event. The Toronto Social Event of the Year I’d say. Meticulously planned, organized, and executed! I spent the pre-wedding week at the Donaldson’s, helped a bit with the last few details, for the rehearsal party and transporting things here and there. Hilary and I moved the rest of her stuff to their new apartment. So I got to see it. Family and friends started arriving from far away places. We’d have yummy hors d’oeuvres and wine in the evenings before dinner. The salmon and goat cheese I brought the first evening as a pre-wedding snack was a hit! After doing an airport pick up I then joined in on the last but of the rehearsal on Friday evening. There was great excitement and anticipation in the room. It was fun to try to capture some of that on my camera. The rehearsal party was at Mary Henkelman’s condo on Bay St in the top floor party room with a panoramic night lights view of the city. Of course there was music and some rehearsing at the party. Great to see more friends.

The wedding day was beautiful. Hilary looked so gorgeous and sophisticated in her beautiful dress. There was such a feeling of love and care from her friends Anthousa and Megan who were there to help her get ready in the morning. I was so glad to be a part of that. The ceremony was of course in unique Donaldson style. Things I particularly loved: The Bach Children’s Chorus doing a little concert before the service began, the parents standing at the front and David, attendants and then Hilary processing down the aisle giving their parents a hug. Seeing Hilary’s grandmother glowing and intensely listening to Kristine’s lovely sermon. The vows, the signing of the register, readings were all beautiful too. Of course we went out singing…to “We will go out with Joy” and then we all stood around in the foyer in front of the chapel singing, drumming, a bit of dancing.
The parade to the Gardiner Museum was a highlight. We sang a number of different songs, with drumming and other odd percussion all the way. Apparently strangers were asking on the way, “What religion is this?” Actually, one of my favourite moments was coming down the steps at Victoria College and all the conventionists at a Byzantine Conference who were browsing around a book sale, stopped and watched, smiled and laughed. The reception was at the Gardiner Museum on the top floor at the restaurant. It was filled with delicious finger foods, including popular fries, much music, beautiful speeches, lots more crying. Hilary presented her bouquet to me with a beautiful speech that completely caught me off guard and had me in tears. David had some of his artwork displayed which added even more sophistication and elegance and fit perfectly in the museum space. The bartender commented to me that he’d never been at a wedding like this, with concert and all. It was a lovely afternoon and early evening. Larry, Allyson, Suzanne, Rob and I went out for a drink in Yorkville afterwards and then I met Andrew and Wendy at the hotel where Wendy’s siblings were staying before heading back to their house. Sunday morning the Donaldson’s hosted a brunch for friends and families which was lovely, low-key and very delicious. In the afternoon as I was heading out to move to Kim’s place I got the idea to bring Hilary and David some of their wedding cake at the cool hotel they were honeymooning at. That idea was a great hit not only with H&D but also with the ladies at reception. Fun!
No comments:
Post a Comment