Thursday, 15 November 2007
Being a minister
Ok. One of the cool things I experienced while home was the opportunity to lead worship at St. George’s Lutheran. Wow. I appreciate ministers more than I did before. It took me literally all week to get my sermon worked out in my head, written, translated and then prayers and liturgy organized too. I was exhausted by the end of the week. It was very cool and humbling actually. Also strengthening and nurturing though. I lead both the English and German services. And I did my little Karin teaching things that St George’s people have gotten used to in the short time I spent there earlier this year. I was particularly impressed with them being willing and enthusiastically learning an Arabic wee song that I learned at Iona. We used it in the service interspersing the prayers. I also taught the English congregation the step to Uyai mose. Near the end of my sermon I asked the congregation for input. That was a risky move since I really wasn’t sure that anyone would say anything but it ended up working very well and I was impressed with the bit of conversation that resulted. My mother was a plant to help get conversation going and she did a very good job at it. It was neat that once I got started I didn’t feel nervous. It’s not unlike teaching really. It is teaching really. I showed pics from my trip after church that helped illustrate my sermon. Many people were quite excited. You too can read my sermon here on my blog…though you may not get the same effect in delivery.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment