Monday, 12 July 2010
Salzburg
I love Salzburg. I love all the beautiful churches squeezed into a small area between a big rock and a long river. I love the bells when they ring, all of them to mark the same point in the day but timed in such a way that they create beautiful music. It was nice that we were there over the weekend, they ring more often on a weekend. I love walking through the narrow little streets past all kinds of shops and markets and restaurants and cafés.
Saturday was lovely, despite me having a headache again. I think it was the third day in a row. And it was very terribly hot. But my friends Kirsten and Georg made a whole weekend getaway out of it and spent Saturday afternoon and evening with us in Salzburg. We walked about and ate in different places…Spinatknödel at the Mozarthaus are the best…and went to rehearsal and enjoyed each other’s company.
We sang mass on Sunday at the Salzburg Cathedral. That was the best concert. We sang Dvorak’s Mass in D and Bruckner’s Ave Maria. It was nice to sing the Mass the way it was intended, to be sung during mass at the appropriate times. It worked very well and one of the hymns was “Lobe den Herren” so I sang it for my dad. The acoustics seemed to be just right for the style of music and our groupies too said it was the best concert.
After lunch on Sunday, the rest of the choir left to go back to Vienna to fly home, all except Anna. Larry and I decided to stay two more nights before moving on. Anna asked us to dinner and we had a lovely dinner that evening at a more up-scale restaurant, “der Goldene Hirsch”. We enjoyed the fellowship too.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment