Friday, 2 July 2010

Surviving Prague



It seems that I am surviving the first few days of the Howard Dyck choir tour 2010 to Prague, Budapest, Vienna and Salzburg. I signed on for this tour to sing, particularly in the Stefansdom in Vienna. Not for the bus tour of 100 people scene. So my favourite part of today was the rehearsal. Even if it was a strenuous one and the sopranos were chastised repeatedly for their annoying tuning. We had a free evening tonight so Larry and I hopped on a tram on our own, and went into the centre of the city and had dinner and walked around. Actually one cool moment was walking through the old medievalisch town square with a huge tv screen set up and hundreds of people watching the soccer game. There were booths set up all around, kind of in the style of German Christmas markets, selling yummy smelling food. It had a great atmosphere.

Prague is a very beautiful city but virtually hard to really enjoy when it’s boiling hot (+30something degrees), and when you’re trying to keep up with a tour guide on their own schedule and trying not to lose your group amongst the thousands of other tourists weaving through the streets. I remember this about the last time I was in Prague. Even by myself I found the hordes of tourists a little overwhelming.

Yesterday was Canada Day. That was kind of cool as we were invited to the Canadian Embassy to sing. We hobnobbed with highfalutin politicians. The Ambassador made a speech (as did a Czech senator) and cut a perfectly iced maple leaf flag birthday cake. The consul of Norway came over to our table and introduced herself and we chatted and joked around with her on a first name basis. There was a big barbecue and fancy finger foods and lovely wines. We sang both National Anthems and two folk songs. The acoustics at a garden party are pretty non-existent so we weren’t entirely pleased with how we sang. And on top of that we were very jetlagged just having arrived off the plane. I slept very well that first night! I will tonight too. Off I go.

No comments: