Thursday, 12 July 2007

Istanbul concert


Well, that concert alone was worth the effort. It was a little dicey at first because the rehearsals were a little stressful. Howard Dyck rehearsed with the orchestra last night and then we had several rehearsals today. They had their challenges. I suppose most of them were sightreading although we had sent them the music ahead of time. It's amazing how a bit of intensive rehearsal can make a difference. It worked out better for the choir too when we were put on risers for the concert. We were able to stay together much better.

So the concert was amazing. The energy from the audience really drove us. The organizers of this concert really know how to put one on. They obviously advertised well because the cathedral was packed. Standing room only with people hanging over the balcony! There was a little wine and hors d'oeuvres reception beforehand in the courtyard. I had a conversation with the mother of one of the violinists. She was telling me that she's Atheist but grew up Muslim and is interested in learning about different religions. She finds going to Christian churches and hearing the music very exotic. I thought that was very cool since here we are in Istanbul visiting mosques, listening to their music and feeling that it's all so exotic.

The church is this cathedral hidden away in Istanbul, hidden away behind a row of buildings. After passing through a doorway and entering the courtyard you come upon the church.

The audience loved us. They cheered and applauded and called for more. We had to give them an encore so we repeated our finale number (the drinking song from La Traviata) After the concert the priest took us down to the crypt, very cool, because the brother of the composer of the piece the tenor soloist sang is buried there. How's that for confusing? And his name escapes me. The beautiful little old man who spoke at the concert and took us down to the crypt talked about the unifying power of music and asked us to spread to the world the message of peace, ecumenism and taking care of each other.

It was a great time and wonderful to end the concert touring on a high. We finished off with all having watery Turkish beer on the rooftop of our hotel looking out over the wonderful city and sea.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Karin!
Your trip sounds SO amazing!!!
I am here in Toronto sweating my butt off in the Physed course with Davina!!!
My cousin met her hubbie in Bulgaria when they were both there 6 years ago teaching English...
I miss you!!!

Sonya xoxo

Karin said...

Hey moo# 1 and moo #2!!

I love that you guys are commenting here! It's fun to check my blog to see whether anyone's commented. Actually it's just plain fun writing my blog. Even though it's hard to keep up.

It's hot in Istanbul too though way more fun than taking a Phys Ed course. ;-)

XO K

Brigitte said...

Hi Karin,
Your comments and pictures are so enriching my experience of this wonderful trip. I just whish I would still be with you. But the vicarious experience through your blog makes up for it.
Our lunch in this little street caffee in Instanbul, admiring the wonderful carpets and the talk to the German waitress as well as my rice pudding with icecream on top are lingering in my mind with great appreciation.

Ps. I misspronounced your name, you did not correct me.

Hope to hear from you again soon

Brigitte

Brigitte said...

Hi Karin,
Your comments and pictures are so enriching my experience of this wonderful trip. I just whish I would still be with you. But the vicarious experience through your blog makes up for it.
Our lunch in this little street caffee in Instanbul, admiring the wonderful carpets and the talk to the German waitress as well as my rice pudding with icecream on top are lingering in my mind with great appreciation.

Ps. I misspronounced your name, you did not correct me.

Hope to hear from you again soon

Brigitte

Ecesu Sertesen said...

Hi Karin!
I'm Ecesu Sertesen.
(The person who played the 1st clarinet part at the orchestra with your Istanbul Concert in Saint Esprit)
I'm pleasure to work your choir. It was awesome. I've never met the other orchestra player. I've only known my school friend. (4-5 people). Horn player was incredible. He has never played horn. (I think).

And you made me happy for your kind letters about my country and city.

Take care.
And sorry about my broke english.

All the best!
Hope to work with you again.

Ecesu..

Unknown said...

Olá Karin.
I found you.
Take care and enjoy.

Daniel Pedro Oliveira