Wednesday, 12 March 2008

Culture Shock

I’ve been aware that people often coming from a Africa say, who return to the developed world experience reverse culture shock and need to re-adjust. I don’t think it’s huge for me but there are definitely a few things that I’m finding disturbing. Admittedly I haven’t spent a huge amount of time outdoors and on the move and that for a variety of reasons. I feel the need to not be touristy at the moment for example. I just want to stay put for a bit. Yesterday at the nice hotel was particularly great for that. I wanted to get caught up on my writing which has taken a bit of time. Also because there are a few things that are shocking me and I don’t want to be confronted by them so much.

1. Most shocking are the scantily clad women. But really what many women in general wear here overall. Some of them look like they’re hardly dressed at all. Granted it’s very hot here. High 30s almost 40. But it’s that hot in Africa too! It mostly really does look terrible and sometimes I don’t know where to look.

2. The percentage of unhealthy, fat people has gone up by a lot. People just don’t look as good here. And then of course everywhere you turn there’s terribly unhealthy food to eat. I realize I actually belong more in this category than the other but still…there are so many. And so it makes me think back to the quality of life I talked about earlier.

3. The prices here are astronomical. I don’t think it’s just because I’m coming from Africa where everything is so cheap. The Canadian and Australian dollars are not that much different from each other. It’s expensive!

I imagine I’ll be readjusted again very soon.

Tomorrow the next adventure starts; the overland camping tour through the Outback from Adelaide to Alice Springs. It too is with Intrepid Travel, will take 11 days and has two other people on it along with me. I called and asked today just so I would know. I think I’m ready. I have to pick up a couple of things at the pharmacy still. I’m hoping I can do that in the morning before we leave. But since I’m all caught up now I think you’ve all got enough to read until I get back. :-)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Karin - Just finished reading all the new blog entries after writing you - does that mean you ditched the long skirt now that you are in Australia for something perhaps more revealing?! You are on an amzing journey - travel safe.

GandS said...

Karin,
We could never have enough to read from you.
Enjoy!
G&S

Kristine said...

Even after my short journey to Africa with you I have been mulling over the cultural, physical, economic differences. I wouldn't call it "shock" exactly, but I am with you on the happiness evaluation (I read Larry's post, too). What do we give up just to we have electric washers and TVs?

But I never suspected that scantily clad women would be something you had to adjust to...

I'm with Anne--travel safe!

JT said...

Hi Karin,
It is the experiences of the cultures and lives of others, which make us appreciate our own. We shouldn't feel guilty about being who we are. It is what we do with our learning and our knowledge which makes the people we can be. Being white, black, Canadian, African, is all in the hands of God, and is an accident of birth, not choice. You have chosen a wonderful path, and have enriched the lives of many. We certainly felt and shared the love you have when you visited us. The experiences and knowledge you have gained will make this world a better place to live in.
Andrew has been thrilled with your postcards, and will send you an e-mail shortly. We had major computer disasters and lost everything, so it has taken a while to find all the lost info.
We had another one of your "God's special moments" last night in church. An 8 year girl who has been deaf since birth was attending our service. A lady stood at the front and signed the whole service. Watching the little girl was very humbling, she heard more of the Word than we did. Sometimes we allow our minds to wander during the sermon or readings, but she watched and "listened" intently. It made me think of the time you helped at our service by using sign language. I guess no matter where you are in the world Karin, you will leave a little bit of God's wonder wherever you are. Be Safe
Lots of love from Scotty Land
John Julie Matthew and Andrew

p.s. I now have a real Djembe which makes the whole house vibrate when I hit it!!!!