Tuesday, 11 March 2008

Words

I’ve enjoyed picking up some phrases and learning some words both in Kiswahili and Luganda. It’s fun using them and then have people often be quite amused. Not because they’re laughing at me but rather because they appreciate that one tries. I think it’s a way to show respect. Yesterday a woman on the dalla dalla going to the Kilimanjaro airport started speaking to me in Swahili. And when I told her I didn’t speak Swahili actually she was surprised. She’d heard me say a phrase earlier either to Lisa or the driver and she assumes I could speak Swahili. That was kind of cool.


Sawa, Sawa Twende = ready, ready Let’s go. I liked using those, separately or together. We would use them on the bus on safari. We’d stop to view some animals and then when we were ready to move on we’d say “sawa sawa” and then someone one add Twende. And then I’d always sing the song Twende Sote in my head that I know from church.

Jambo = hello Shikamoo = greeting for people that are elders for example or people of particular respect.
Mambo = how are things? Poa = cool!

Haberi =How are you? Muzuri=good!

Pipi, Kaka = What’s up, brother? If you’re of the same generation they call you brother (kaka) or sister (dada)

Asante Sana = Thank you very much

Lala Salama = Good night

Haberi Asebuoy (sp?)- Good morning or I think more accurately “How’s the morning?” because then the answer is Musuri =good.

Kwaheri =good bye

Oh no! I forgot how to say Good night in Luganda! And it was my favourite phrase! But others I remember:

Webale =Thank you Webale nyo = Thank you very much

Welaba =Good bye

Kale is very handy. It’s used to mean okay, you’re welcome, as a greeting of sorts even. Often it’s used with sebo and nyabo.

Kale sebo =okay sir
Kale nyabo = okay madam

Kulikye-o (sp?) = welcome back
Voodayo (sp?) = it’s good to be back.

Oleeotja (sp?) = How are you? Jendi = fine.

Wassasotja (sp?) Good morning

Mirembe = Peace be with you

(2 days later: I remember now. Good night in Luganda is Selon belungi)


It is definitely difficult when you don’t understand the language. When you’re with people and they’re chatting away in their own language without regard of you being there it feels quite exclusionary and can feel isolating in fact. I felt that sometimes when I was staying at the Lubegas. And also on the tour when the guide’s taking me around on village walks would spend have the time talking to my guide in Swahili. And when you’re the only person on the big white tour bus…

Now I’m going back to English-speaking land. Except it’s Australia and they have they’re own phrases and ways of saying things that seem to sometimes be like a foreign language too. It’s fun to figure it all out.

No comments: