Friday, 22 February 2008

Dichotomy

The land is beautiful and the people are beautiful, to be clear. They are kind and generous and hospitable. But there is also a strange dichotomy going on. They are very conscious of how they look. They are very well dressed in trousers and shirts and ties. The women have stylish dresses or skirts and tops and wear high heels. They have their cars cleaned to go into town. Yet the care for their environment is lacking. It’s strange to see women in their high heeled shoes walking through mud and along rough roads. Garbage is everywhere. They throw it on the ground, wherever they happen to be. They don’t have any receptacles to put it in. I understand that people are poor comparatively speaking and some are much poorer than others, but if they kept their spaces tidy wouldn’t that already make a difference? It would improve the smell too. I think that’s the biggest difficulty I have. Kampala, in particular, is very dirty. And on top of that you have the noise and smog and haze. Some of the stuff that comes out of car’s exhaust pipes is incredible. On the other hand I have also noticed that people don’t smoke here. (Though Gid says they do) I think I’ve now seen four in total though I’m sure that the pollution they breathe in makes up for it. I’m always glad to come back to Masooli and Kitetikka.

No comments: