Friday, 22 February 2008

Spending money

I spent more money here then I thought I would. The thing is that if you’re a muzungu then you must be rich and so I was often requested to pay. And more often than not probably paid more than what would have been charged of a Ugandan. On one hand I did not mind, in fact, when traveling with Mr L I often volunteered to pay for groceries or gas seeing as he was driving me around and feeding me. But sometimes it became tedious. Did I have 2000 shillings here to buy this man a soda? (Sodas cost 50) I should make this call on my phone since he never had air time on his. On Sunday I went to the music director’s house of the catholic church we went to the very first weekend we were there. He had called some of his choir together to teach me some songs. I had to give him 10000 for transportation to pick up the music, I bought a tape recorder and left it there, and I was asked to buy beer for everyone. And I never got the balance back from having bought the beer. Mr. L said it wasn’t necessary even though we were running on an empty tank and I thought I was paying for some gas on the balance of the last money I had. The last straw was yesterday in Kampala when we met up with Tobias, Sarah and children. The plan was to spend the day with them, stay over and they would take me to the airport today. Mr L. was adamant about having a picture of him handing me over to Tobias. Because he wanted to make sure that the end of responsibility to me was documented just in case something happened. His plan was to hire a photographer even though both Tobias and I had our cameras. I had said to him at home still “Was it a good use of money to hire a photographer?” He would pay for it he said. Well. Of course he didn’t. The guy took five snaps and then Mr L told me to pay him 5000 shillings. “I thought you were going to pay?” I chided. “Just give him 5000. It’s ok.” That use of me really bugged me at that point. And made me sad.

The problem in Uganda, and I imagine most African countries, is that people have become dependant on handouts from the 1st world, ie. white people, muzungus. They’re used to living on nothing, or at least very little and they sit and wait until countries and people pour in donations, which we often do, I imagine, to make us feel better about ourselves. So what gives them the incentive to better themselves or work at developing better structures and becoming successful? And then does the money we send actually get to the people who need it the most? And when they do get the aid do they have help in knowing the best ways to use it? Or do they buy more swanky clothes to look good? Tobias made a comment that I wish I could remember. Something like how they are seen is more important than how they are.

Mind you this of course, is far from the only problem. Tribalism and corruption I would say are the other two biggies. And I don’t have any answers.

No comments: