Tuesday, 22 April 2008

GBR AMAZING!!!

April 22
That was the most amazing thing! Today I did a tour out to the Great Barrier Reef. I concur, it’s definitely a world wonder. We went out to the outer section, which is apparently one of the most amazing parts. And though I don’t have much to compare it with, it was most definitely completely awesome! The tour was better organized than the one out to the Whitsundays and I didn’t even think about the diving option. No need to anyway, the snorkeling was amazing. I don’t even know if I can describe it. There’s a completely different, most beautiful world down just under the surface of the water. And I was in it. I was able to swim so close over the coral and see all the little beautiful fish skirting and darting in and out of their hiding places. And I saw some very big ones too swimming along. The parrot fish were very beautiful. Their faces and colours look like those of a parrot, it has a beak mouth and the way its side fins work makes it look more like it’s flapping wings. And you could hear them crunching away at the coral. It was surprisingly loud. There were huge schools of big dark brown fish that swirled around like a tornado almost. And small teeny tiny turquoise fish that flitted around in big schools. The zebra fish were very cool and I saw a spotted lagoon mantra sitting on the sandy bottom. I watched it flap around there for a while. I didn’t see any turtles or sharks though. That’s okay. The coral was magnificent. The colours are so vibrant, florescent looking sometimes. I like the blues and purples and mustard coloured ones. There are so many different kinds. It’s like a garden full of beautiful flowers. I played with some oysters. Some of them were quite big. When you swim by them they close up. They come in different colours too. So beautiful. Some fish are very, very big. And I don’t imagine I’ve seen anywhere near the biggest. I saw one huge, big-lipped fish with turquoise dots swim into a cave. We went to three different spots along the reef. It was a pain taking the wet-suit on and off all the time but after I’d discovered the wonderful world it didn’t matter how often I needed to struggle in and out. I could have explored all day. It was neat to swim through passageways. I saw little nemo cousins too, peeking out of their anemones. The third reef we went too was the best. It seemed to be literally teeming with fish. There were heaps of fish there! If you stayed still for a little bit they would swarm around you and one little movement would send them skittering away, but not very far. There was one group of little turquoise ones that would change colour to green as they changed direction. There are so many highlights of my trip and this is definitely one of theeee highlights. Maybe it is theeee highlight. Oh, and cool was that they had prescription snorkel masks so I could actually see quite well. My descriptions actually I’m sure don’t do it anywhere justice and I didn’t have an underwater camera but I have a feeling those pics wouldn’t have done it justice either. It’s one of the things that just needs to stay etched into my brain.

I’m sitting in a lovely Cairns café restaurant playing cool French music and I just had a delicious dinner with spaghetti, prawns, feta, cherry tomatoes and grapes. Very excellent! And a glass of red wine. I feel right and satisfied and very good and quite special at this moment. I’m so glad I picked this option for the day! It was perfect.

No comments: