Tuesday, 15 April 2008

Schreibfaul

So admittedly lately in the last few weeks I’ve been schreibfaul. (A German adjective for someone who is a lazy writer.) I haven’t had enough motivation I think. At the same time I’ve needed just not to do a lot. Especially since January, when I headed off to Africa, I’ve been experiencing so many different and new things that in some ways it became a little overwhelming. Experience overload if you will. And so I really needed just to hang here in Brisbane and not do a whole lot and visit and be part of family life. (Apparently I’m part of the furniture here now and there will be wailing and gnashing of teeth when I leave, and no one to do kitchen clean-up anymore!) For a while I wouldn’t have known what to write anyway because I’d taken a break from internalizing I think. But I received a couple of queries and wonderings about my whereabouts and what was happening so that perhaps has given me a new jumpstart. I, by the way, enjoy the little comments some people are able to make on my blog. Thanks! I’m definitely glad about this form of communication so that all who are interested can be in touch with me. It’s hard to keep up with email. Email in Africa was next to impossible really. And here in Brisbane my internet connection capabilities aren’t super convenient either. The Morleys have dial-up. Dial-up is very slow…almost as slow as African internet cafes! I’ve basically just been using it to read my email. The Queensland State Library in the city has a beautiful comfortable area for study and research. There are many computers and they have free wireless. Many people, students and travelers go there with their laptops and work. I spent some time there too. I’m updating my blog here today. The other day I got some research done here on what I’m doing next and how I’m getting there. On Thursday I’m flying up to the Whitsunday coast to do some kayaking and then on to Mission Beach to do more kayaking around the Great Barrier Reef. I’ll be flying from Cairns to Melbourne a week later. That’s all for now!

2 comments:

GandS said...

We also wondered about your "blog-less" period but assumed that you were taking a well-deserved rest. Glad you are enjoying Australia and are part of the family there... no surprise to us! Hilariter is preparing for a concert at Glebe on the 19th and workshops, concert and Sunday worship on the May 24th weekend. We miss you but are happy that you are having such a great trip. Regards to all.

Kristine said...

Thanks for posting! It's great to hear what you're up to and the pictures are amazing (Thank you for NOT posting any photos of the men in Speedos)

Someone gave me some great advice once to 'stop processing' when you are feeling overwhelmed. Sounds like you took the advice :) I'm glad you found a home base to catch your breath.

Peace and blessings on your journey!

kristine