Friday, 18 April 2008

Goodbye at the Morleys

April 17
Saying goodbye was so difficult. Staying with them was great. They are kind and gracious and generous and we got on as if we’d known always known each other. It must have been difficult at times to have an extra person around but it all worked out wonderfully. It was sad to leave. I was there just at the right time in my journeys. They were a great haven. And it’s time to move on. The girls, particularly Sophie and Emily were very sad that I was leaving. They thought I should live with them forever or at least get a house near by, even the Gold Coast would be close enough. Wednesday afternoon and evening were heart-wrenching. There were many tears. Emily sobbed bitterly at regular intervals because she would miss me so much and didn’t want me to go. Steph and I had moments too where we were about to burst into tears too as a result. It reminded me of when I was little (and not so little) and friends or family would visit for longer periods of time and they would have to leave. Or if I/we finished a visit in Germany, like with Oma and Opa for example. It is hard to say goodbye when people are so dear. I went with them to school in the morning. They were being very brave. Sophie was telling herself it was fine because they’re going to Ballina in 5 days. Emily was convincing herself that it was better to be happy that I had come at all and not to be sad that I was leaving. They both did very well though Emily did end up breaking down a bit in the end again just as class was starting. Poor dear. And now, after a phone call with Charles, he told me that she got in trouble at school because she wasn't concentrating. (I having a feeling that "in trouble" is all relative but for her that would have been devastating. Probably like when Mrs. Russell made me stand in the corner in grade 4 when I took my textbook out instead of my notebook.) :-(

Steph and I did a quick little thanks for everything, see ya later, hop out and go at the airport. Phoebe had fallen asleep in the car seat so she was quite oblivious. I waved goodbye to Charles as he went off to work earlier in the day. And that was it.


Off to Airlie Beach by plane. Took a couple of hours. There was some beautiful scenery as we flew along the coast, particularly flying out of Brisbane. Some gorgeous greeny blue sand swirls.

I’m staying at the youth hostel here. I got a room to myself. Airlie Beach is pretty much a strip street with lots of clubs and restaus, and tourist shops. But it’s a departure point for many tours out to the Whitsunday Islands. I wanted to go kayaking but the winds are too strong so those tours have had to be cancelled for the next 4 or 5 days. I signed up for a boat tour instead that takes you snorkeling, visit to Whitehaven beach and a bushwalk.

No comments: