Our concert in Kaiserslautern was a great success. We had 2 rehearsals last week plus a dress
rehearsal so we spent the week in Kaiserslautern with the von Freymann
family. At the last rehearsal, the
conductor noted that only 60 tickets had been sold. So we weren’t expecting the sold out crowd in
the old gothic cathedral that it was.
(They must have heard that there were Canadians participating!) Everyone was excited by the turnout and there
was a great energy. The concert went
very well and there was a lot of applause.
There was a party afterwards for which the conductor’s husband had made
Flammkuchen for everyone. He set up his
little wood fired oven outside the church doors. One of the basses set the tables in the
church hall very festively. It was a
nice little finisher. We were invited to
come back for the next concert.
I had a teacher moment before the concert. There was a kafuffle about how we would walk
onto the stage and in which order. When
we practiced it after the warm-up it didn’t work very well. At least, I didn’t think so and neither did
the couple of women beside me. And we
didn’t practice again so I was a little concerned because I was the first one
leading our row on and I needed to know whom I would have to follow. And I didn’t want to be the one messing
things up. Just before the beginning of
the concert the conductor asked us to line up.
Everyone kind of milled about, looking for the person standing next to
them but it didn’t seem like anyone really knew what to do really either. The woman beside me and I decided that really
the sopranos should go on after the basses and that the back row (our row)
should go first, which is definitely NOT how we had “practiced” it. Since nothing else seemed to be happening
(except for confusion) I made the
executive decision that the sopranos would go in after the basses and found the
last bass to line up behind. My row
followed me and then I thought everyone should know of this plan so in my
teacher voice I made the announcement and everyone followed suit. The man standing beside Larry said to him,
“She sounds like a teacher.” “She
is. Of young children.”, Larry answered. And so it went off without a hitch. The tenors and altos were a little less
organized in their part of the entry…but there was only so much I can do with
the little time I had. :-)


1 comment:
OOoohhh...I *think* I can take a little "credit" for this one!
Post a Comment