Singing in a choir helps me feel like I live here too. My friend Kirsten, who now lives in
Kaiserslautern, invited us to sing along in the choir that she sings in. They have a concert on Nov 18. This week we went to the first two
rehearsals. We’re singing the Franz von
Suppé Requiem. I’d never heard of von Suppé before. His music is quite Mozartian. Larry’s enjoying it too…and he has the
challenge of understanding what the conductor is saying!
It was nice to see Kirsten and the family. Of course, the kids have grown quite a bit in
5 years. We enjoyed going for
walks. Larry and I took the girls up to
the neighbourhood horse stables where we spent a good hour just watching the
goings-on. They take riding lessons and
so were particularly enthralled with the routines and visiting the horses in
their stalls. I also got a little tour
of the Waldorf schools that Antonia and Charlotte go to. It felt like a comfortable, holistic, natural
place to be. I could imagine some of the
philosophy fitting in to our school programs, particularly as part of the
Eco-School program. I'll need to do some research about that...maybe later! I enjoyed playing
games with the girls too. We’re going
back next week for the next set of rehearsals and then concert. I have a dilemma. Charlotte wants me to come and watch her riding
lesson. At the same time, Antonia wants
me to come along to her school’s Lantern parade in the woods for St Martin’s
Day. (Hmmm. Maybe that’s what I’ll have to do, since I’ve
not experienced that before.) We’ll
see.
On the way to Kaiserslautern, Larry and I took the little
country roads to get there. We travelled
the German wine route and stopped in some of the little towns and visited the
old medieval town centres.
In Bad
Bergzabern we stopped for Kaffee and Kuchen.
In Annweiler we stopped for a glass of the region’s wine. It was a lovely day. 
1 comment:
Ah Karin. Isn't it nice to have dilemmas like what event to enjoy?! I don't have that dilemma anymore...sadly. Kaiserslautern looks lovely!
Post a Comment