Remembrance Day in Germany is not at all the same. First of all, it’s not on November 11. November 11 here is a very different
day. Very opposite. It is the beginning of the pre-carnival
season. Fasching (carnival, Mardi Gras) is very big here in this region. Ironically
on Nov 11 at 11:11 they have this crazy celebration in which the town gathers
at the town hall. Many dress up in
carnival costume, particularly those who belong to the different organizations
who organize the carnival festivities. A
fools' court is set up where the mayor of the town is “judged” for his
“transgressions”; such transgressions as making November 11 a Sunday, or for
putting a roundabout in an “inconvenient” spot.
And they “steal” the key to the town hall from the mayor which they keep
until Fasching/carnival is over. Or
something of the sort. Kerstin, Larry
and I walked up to the Rheinstetten city hall on November 11 in the rain so
that we could really see what it was about.
It was very strange and surreal.
We had to leave a little early because we had plans to visit Tante Herta
otherwise we would have been able to have some Glühwein too.
I told those, who were willing to listen, about Nov 11 for us
in Canada. The few I asked in
Rheinstetten could not tell me whether there was a similar such day in
Germany. I thought maybe it was just on
another date perhaps. It wasn’t until
Nov 17 when we were in Kaiserslautern coming home from our dress rehearsal and
I noticed a large German flag flying that hadn’t been there before. Kirsten explained that the next day, Sun. Nov
18, is Volkstrauertag (literally translated as People’s Day of
Sorrow/Mourning) She knew that it was
the day to remember the soldiers who had fought and fallen in the wars. The city and maybe an organization or two
lays wreaths at the few memorials one finds.
But really not much is done. It
is not talked about in the schools. It
doesn’t seem to be commemorated in the homes.
Kirsten’s children didn’t know what it was. It is always on the 2nd last
Sunday of the church year. I don’t know
whether much attention is given to it in the churches. It seems that churches are fairly empty
anyway. I guess, in short, it’s not much
of a people’s day of mourning since there don’t seem to be many people who are
even aware of it. Onkel Werner and I had
a conversation about it. His take is
that people are not interested. They
were the losers. And there were so many
shameful atrocities. But why can’t we
remember, that despite all of that, there were soldiers and mothers and
children who died and suffered and gave up lives, homes and families. Does it really matter what side you were on
or whether you lost or won? Does anyone
really win in a war?
![]() |
| Unknown Soldier |
Onkel Werner then took us to the cemetery in Weinheim. There is a whole section of the cemetery
dedicated to the soldiers of the two wars. Four of the graves were of young children of Weinheim who were playing in
the street one day when a plane patrolling the neighbourhood noticed some
activity, came flying down and dropped bombs, killing all of the children. One of them was the brother of Onkel Werner’s
neighbour. Does anyone really win a war? We enjoyed the time walking through the
cemetery and remembering.
![]() |
| World War I |





1 comment:
Very interesting post Karin. I've been doing some literacy activities with my kids about standing up to authority, and one of the reading passages we did was about this German youth during the war who tried to spread the word in his community that Hitler was deceiving the German people. As much as there were atrocities (on both sides), I think the goal is to remember the strength of the human spirit.
Post a Comment