Arriving in Germany and to Rheinstetten is like arriving home. I’ve been here so often in my life. As children, my mother would bring us every 5 years to visit my grandparents and our family and friends. I spent many summers here in the 90s on my own when my grandmother was still alive. Last 4 over 5, this was home base for several months. I like the idea of being in a different country and knowing where I’m going and what I’m doing without having to figure too much out. Maybe part of it is having been here when we were little. I’ve always had this, probably, romantic notion of going back to the place where you grew up, a homecoming, Heimat, as being the best place to come back to. Since the place we grew up in Toronto doesn’t exist anymore…my aunts’ places are that for me. Maybe I get this idea of Heimat from my dad and other East Prussians who yearn for their homeland and the way life was there. And even if Rheinstetten isn't the most idyllicly beautiful part of Germany, it still is home. I'm enjoying showing Larry the old haunts.
Saturday, 10 November 2012
Home
Arriving in Germany and to Rheinstetten is like arriving home. I’ve been here so often in my life. As children, my mother would bring us every 5 years to visit my grandparents and our family and friends. I spent many summers here in the 90s on my own when my grandmother was still alive. Last 4 over 5, this was home base for several months. I like the idea of being in a different country and knowing where I’m going and what I’m doing without having to figure too much out. Maybe part of it is having been here when we were little. I’ve always had this, probably, romantic notion of going back to the place where you grew up, a homecoming, Heimat, as being the best place to come back to. Since the place we grew up in Toronto doesn’t exist anymore…my aunts’ places are that for me. Maybe I get this idea of Heimat from my dad and other East Prussians who yearn for their homeland and the way life was there. And even if Rheinstetten isn't the most idyllicly beautiful part of Germany, it still is home. I'm enjoying showing Larry the old haunts.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


1 comment:
Hey Karin
Thought you could escape us hey? Google is an amazing thing. Looks like you are having a great time reconnecting with all your family and seeing all the wonderful sights of Germany. We had our first half of interviews tonight and the rest tomorrow morning then off to Chicago. Keep up the posts.
Post a Comment