Friday, 30 November 2012

Münster (not Munster)

Rare good photo of Larry and me

Yes.  This can be confusing.  For Germans too.  In fact, most don’t seem to know that there is a town of Munster and were consequently trying to correct my pronunciation!  The people I know in Münster are a very nice couple that I met on my last 4 over 5 adventures when I was taking a ship from Memel/Klaipeda to Kiel.  They then gave me a ride from Kiel to Münster and I was able to sleep over at their house.  We have kept in contact since then and I gave them a call on the off chance that they might be available for a short visit.  Well, they were very happy to hear from me and switched their schedules around to accommodate us and tried desperately to have us stay longer!  We had a good time catching up.  Michael gave us a great and informative tour of Münster and we had a typical Westphalian meal…things like pork hock, Kasseler, sausages, with sauerkraut and boiled potatoes.  Good, hardy, filling.  Marianne gave us a tour of their community the next afternoon and made sure we were well-fed.  We very much enjoyed their company and could have stayed longer but family called and we were looking forward to our weekend with my Schemeit family in the Netherlands.  

No comments: