
One afternoon a group of us took an insane boat ride out to the island of Staffa. This is where Fingal's cave is found...the one that inspired Mendelssohn to write the Hebrides Symphony, which I'd now like to get to know. The boat was a little one, it took an hour to get there and the sea was very rough. Many people got terribly sick. Not I, but I did get soaking wet as the waves sloshed over the top and the sides and from all around. It was like being on a white water amusement park ride...except completely natural.
The cool thing about this island is the geology of it. The rock is 6 million years old and this particular island and one in Ireland are the only of its kind. It's very bizarre. I thought it looked like someone had pressed plasterscine up through a sieve or something. In some areas it's very vertical and in others very swoopy. I don't know how else to describe it except through pictures.


1 comment:
Dear Karin,
I posted a comment yesterday but I didn't really know what I was doing. You will find it attached to August 2nd.
Love from Margaret
Post a Comment