I’ve enjoyed getting to know this group better this week. They’re all very nice and sweet. There are two women who are sisters in this group and the one sister, Faye, reminds me of my Oma Mauritz. There is a sweetness about her that Oma had too. Her sister, Oriole, actually reminds me of Tante Herta. She has a bit of good eccentricity going for her and it could be my imagination but I think she’s got the Knorr hip stature. She told me yesterday that she thinks I’m really neat.:-)

Friday’s wine-tasting tour was fun. Gerald, who does all the translating for the group, was late in getting back from a hospital visit with someone who was having a problem with her teeth. The translating of the wine tour then lay on me. It was a lot of fun trying to explain things and find the right vocabulary and waving my hands and arms around just in case that would help too. Madame Meckert exclaimed at the end, when she found out that I speak German too, it would have been easier for her to do it in German. But I enjoyed the challenge of brushing up on my French wine-making vocabulary.
During the bit of free time we had later in the afternoon some of us sat around on the patio, sharing drinks and fromage and doing our various quiet time things. And then we had Flammkuchen for dinner.:-)
Oh, it was funny on the train yesterday, an elderly Alsatian couple was sitting next to me on the train. They were speaking French and German mixed up…”Des da c’est important” It made me smile. We mix up German and English all the time, much to Mark’s dismay especially. It’s not a Schemeit thing. It’s a natural language development of people who live in places where more than one language is spoken.
No comments:
Post a Comment