Wednesday, 22 August 2007

My day at school

My time at Andrew's school today was a lot of fun. I was invited to come and teach some music to the whole school it turned out. The first group I had were all the primary 2-4s. (ie. grades 1-3) and then I had the group Andrew's in, primary 5-7 (aka grades 4-6. They were so cute, all in their uniforms, pretty mesmorized by my accent in some cases and very well behaved. They all came in in twos, quietly, were lined up facing the side wall and then they had to put their hands on each other's shoulders. That was to measure enough space to sit. Then on the teacher's command they turned to the front and sat down, quietly.
I taught the primary group "I Paradisi" and "The Peace of the Earth". They were quick learners and good singers and they were amazing with the actions. Some of them were singing as they left the gym. I taught the older group an Energizer that goes along with the Proclaimer's song "I would walk 500 miles..." Hilary's taught it to me before and I taught it to Andrew last night and we did it together with the whole group who seemed to really enjoy it. Of course, they knew the song like the back of their hands and were singing along with their top voices and their adorable Scottish accents. I also taught them Uyai mose. All three parts and the step, which was a lot to learn in about 20 minutes but they did really well and seemed to enjoy that too, especially the "Ahom" section. It was neat to be there and have a wee glimpse of what school in Scotland is like. And it was a lot of fun. I like teaching. :-)

No comments: