Wednesday, 29 August 2007

I have a sister-in-law!

Here's Mark's big shocker news...He got MARRIED!! To my sister's friend...that he met at the beginning of July. I also know her as the bass player for the Elora Festival and passionate friend of Laura Moore. But I sure was shocked to discover that she had become my sister-in-law. The story is that Kim's thought for a long time that Natalie and Mark might get along so when Mark was visiting in June she set them up. After a lovely few days the whole group of them spent at Natalie's cottage, (which included kayaking for hours in the middle of the night, under the stars I suppose), Mark flew back to Berlin. A few weeks later Natalie came to visit him, extended her visit, stayed a month at the end of which they promptly got married. I like that I already know her.

The ceremony is a Muslim one called nikah. Understanding what that means, they invited the sheikh over to Mark's place, drew up a marriage contract, said their vows and voila I now have a sister-in-law. They had cooked up a storm for the party with 15 of Mark's friends, which was apparently an awesome party. The state's version of the marriage will happen next summer in Canada. Part of the marriage contract states that Mark is to return home to Canada by Christmas.(In Germany there are two forms of marriage, religious and state. People generally do both on two separate days, most typically a week or a few days apart.)

And so the cosmos shifts again. The Schemeit status quo is no longer the same. I put my things in storage, go away and look what happens! I get a niece and now a sister-in-law. Or is it since my dad turned 80 that things switched kilter? I'm happy for Mark and Natalie. I wish for them always patience, kindness, love, laughter, growing friendship, peace and to know God's blessings.

No comments: